Monday, May 2, 2011

Nervous Conditions

Tsitsi Dangarembga's Nervous Conditions is a book about colonizations and the different phases that it takes to be colonized. I like it because it shows the reader how a person is actually colonized and the stages that a person goes through to get there. I also really enjoy the book because I have terrible ADD and Dangareembga's style of writing is perfect for someone with a small attention span. She tends to jump from scene to scene and therefore I never lose interest. After I began reading Nervous Conditions I noticed the important issues that Dangareembga brings up through the story: education, living, money, gender roles, family, and even abuse. She introduces us to Tambu, Nyasha, Lucia, and Ma'shingay and Maiguru (the two mothers). Tambu is obviously not sorry about her brother's death and doesn't seem to feel bad about it at all. I can't imagine not feeling bad about my own brother's death. Each one of Dangareembga's characters is going through some sort of issue with colonization. There have been times where I have felt like I am losing myself. I made a new group friends that totally changed my way of thinking, luckily  I was able to realize is though!

1 comment:

  1. I'm very interested to hear that Dangarembga's writing style is good for a short attention span. You do a good job identifying the main issues in the novel, although you do stay fairly general. When you do the film reviews, it will be good to go into a little more detail because you will certainly have a lot of readers on the IMDB.

    ReplyDelete